You can count on one thing on Facebook… change. The most recent update rolled out new Pages features and format (as opposed to your Profile). You have until March 10, 2011 to make the change voluntarily. After that, your pages will automatically be updated.
That being said, your pages can be seen in the new format by others who have updated their pages. IMPORTANT: Once you update your page… you CANNOT go back.
Here’s some things you want to make sure and do upon making the change:
- Adjust your wall image to the long awaited “new” size: 180 x540 pixels
- Set Notifications to determine if you want to receive email when fans interact on your page. (Edit Page -> Your Settings)
- Blacklist any keywords you want to avoid being seen on your page by fans. They will go to the spam list only seen by admins. (Edit Page -> Manage Permissions)
- Load up photos you want to highlight or delete photos you don’t want showing in the photo boxes at the top by clicking the x that appears when you hoover over that photo. At this time, you cannot make a banner because photos are inserted randomly.
- Choose 5 other pages to “Feature” (Edit Page -> Featured)
Things you may not have realized changed:
- The info box at the left is no longer available. All info simply shows in the Info Tab.
- You can now post as your Page on other pages. And you can comment as your Page on people profile posts who have their settings open to Everyone to post.
- To post as your Page, click on the Account drop down and you’ll see the Use Facebook As Page link
- Your wall feed is now a news feed and doesn’t show items in chronological order. Rather shows items by value and how much engagement the posts get. Some posts may not show at all. I think people are most upset about this change… perhaps Facebook will consider changing this back.
- You can change your Category (Edit Page -> Basic Information)
- In case you didn’t notice… the Edit Page link is now a button on the upper right
Need More Answers about New Fan Pages… Here are some great resources: