Facebook announced that all pages are going to be converted on March 30th to the timeline. Are you freaking out? No need here’s what’s going to change and what you need to know to be prepared. Now through March 30th you can preview you fan page in timeline mode.
Pros and Cons of the New Timeline for Brand Pages on Facebook…
Here’s what’s new that I love:
- You can send private messages to fans if they have messaged you. And you can send messages to other fan pages that have kept the message feature active.
- Change your fan page name request. Use the form on this page to submit your requested name change: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact_us.php?id=262629790471076.
- You can pin posts to the top (for seven days).
- Highlighting posts which will features it across the full width of the timeline
- Offers (formerly Deals) allows you to post sales or specials on your pages for Facebook replaces sponsored stories improving fan page exposure. Mari Smith has explained offers in detail here.
- Add Milestones with dates to mark important activity you want to highlight. They are automatically widescreen. Great way to share your business history, achievements and important events.
Here’s what’s new that we have to get creative around:
- No more default landing tab
- Design a cover photo 851 x 315 pixels (see restrictions below) and your picture box is 180 x180. Remember your thumbnail image is 32×32 so make sure your picture box scales down well.
Timeline Cover Image Restrictions (according to Facebook)
According to Facebook, cover photos now have restrictions.Your cover image may NOT contain:
- Price or purchase information, such as “40 percent off” or “Download it at our website.”
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section.
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features.
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends.”
Prepare for the Change and Maximize Your List Building and Other Marketing Strategies
Design New Graphics for Timeline Cover and App Tab
Timeline – more visually oriented. You may want to enlist a branding expert to help you translate your brand into graphics for the cover and app tabs. Tab pages now can be up to 780 pixels (some indicate 810) wide so you will want to redesign them as well as create a custom image for the top row.
Pin Posts That Highlight Your App Tabs
Pinning posts to the top of your timeline can be a geat way to feature your app tabs, events, blog posts, recommendations, etc. Once you pin a post, it will stay there for seven days. Why not create a pinned post that invites users to your app tabs? This could include pinned posts that link to your tabs for opting-in for a free report, video series, or webinar, to enter a contest, to take a poll, to get a coupon, etc.
App Tab Images
Your app tabs can now have images that appear just underneath the cover. Before they were unnoticable on the left side navigation and no one really noticed. Here’s your opportunity to showcase your application tabs and invite people to your custom pages by designing an image that invites them to click on it.
Prepare an image (jpg, png or gif) that is 111 x 74 pixels (or a multiple of that for correct sizing).
To change the app tab image follow these simple steps.
- On your fan page timeline click on the down arrow next to the 4 images on the top row (under the cover image)
- Mouse over the app image you want to change, and click the pencil that appears. A menu will appear.
- select “Edit Settings” toward the bottom. This opens the “Edit____ Settings” window for the app tab.
- Click “Change” next to Custom Tab Image: and you will then be in the developer settings for the app.
- Locate the current app image and click the “Change” link and select the image you want from your computer.
Please share links to the fan pages with great cover images, app tabs and other ideas for using the new pages for your business with us.
Official Facebook Pages info on Fan Page Timeline
Official Facebook Pages Help
Facebook Pages Terms
Other Blogs Discussing Timeline Change
HyperArts.com Facebook Timeline for Pages – Frequently Asked Questions
KISSMetrics Blog: 28 Things You Need To Know About New Facebook Pages